Tuesday, January 3, 2017

How The Strumbella's Gained Me As A Fan (In Under Fifteen Minutes)

Just as the title would imply, I recently got to see The Strumbella's live at the Danforth theatre.

For three songs.

Two of which, were the encore.

One of which, was Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer.

You see, a few months ago I purchased tickets simply due to the fact that they were 15 a pop. Pretty good deal, right?
Well, considering I'm an impulsive ticket buyer, and do so frequently, I forgot entirely, and the show fell on a day I was working.

A hop, skip, and a boat ride away and somehow we ended up at the show just as the band was closing with Spirits.

And not only did I show up incredibly late, but I also happened to have purchased All Ages tickets at 2 in the afternoon, which, at the time, I didn't realize meant half the audience would be roughly 5 to 8 years old. Which would explain why they played Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer as their final song.


So, although I was late and surrounded by children and their hipster parents (decked out in the snazziest of suspenders, flannel, and groomed beards, I may add), The Strumbella's are quite the charismatic bunch.

I really fell in love with their optimism and sincere connection with their crowd. They made everyone in the room feel included in something really spectacular. And let's face it, any band that can impress you in under 15 minutes must be pretty damn impressive.

I can only imagine how exciting and lively the group would be full show and during the 19+ at night; especially at a venue as nice as the Danforth, with it's descending stadium and ample size (not ginormous, and not incredibly tiny).

Not to mention, Simon Wards voice is exactly, if not even better, live, as it is on record. A lively voice with just the right amount of integrity and emotion one could want in a vocalist.





So my recommendation would definitely be to check out a Strumbella's gig next time they're in town.

Just make sure you buy the right tickets... and remember buying them.


Yours,

Chelsea





No comments:

Post a Comment